There are several EPA sites in the City of Moraine, information on the sites is listed below:

• Racer Moraine Facility - Official Site - Ohio Site

The Motors Liquidation Co. (MLC) site covers 465 acres along Dryden, Stroop and Springboro roads in Moraine, OH and includes former manufacturing sites for Delphi Harrison Thermal Systems, the GM Truck Group Assembly Plant and the GM Powertrain Group Engine Plant. Frigidaire, a GM division, also produced appliances on the site from the late 1920s until 1979. Delphi ceased operations in 2003, and GM stopped all manufacturing in late 2008. Many of the buildings have been torn down, but the giant 4 ½ million-square-feet assembly plant remains. In 2001 the DMAX Engine Plant was built at 3100 Dryden Road on the northwest corner of the complex.

MLC was formed out of the 2009 GM bankruptcy and took over most of GM's nonproductive assets. MLC was given a budget to clean up the automaker's former properties and then sell or dispose of the land for redevelopment or reuse.

EPA and state partner Ohio EPA have been involved with the site since the environmental regulators issued the first of many legal orders in 1991.

• South Dayton Dump and Landfill - Official Site

The South Dayton Dump and Landfill is a former disposal area for industrial and municipal waste. The site is approximately 80 acres and includes two 5-acre ponds used for disposal, as well as property now occupied by an operating asphalt plant and others. Open burning, landfilling and storage of hazardous waste throughout its half-century operation has resulted in contamination of soil and portions of the ground water aquifer underlying the site, and threatens the adjacent Great Miami River. Soil contains metals that include lead, copper, mercury and other chemicals. EPA proposed the site to the Superfund National Priority List in September 2004. The Agency is negotiating with potentially responsible parties for the investigation of the nature and extent of contamination.

• Sanitary Landfill (Cardington Road Landfill) - Official Site

The 36-acre Sanitary Landfill Superfund Site at 1855 Cardington Road (also known as the Cardington Road Landfill) is a former solid waste landfill located about one mile south of the Dayton. It was originally developed as a sand and gravel mine and was eventually used for solid waste disposal from 1958 to 1980. The landfill accepted municipal waste and various types of industrial waste. The primary contaminants of concern affecting the soil, sediment, surface water, and landfill gas were volatile organic compounds including benzene, trichloroethylene, toluene, xylenes, and other organic compounds. Metals, including arsenic, chromium, and lead, were also identified as contaminants of concern.

• Opossum Creek Drum Site - Ohio Site

On December 5, 2012, the Ohio EPA requested assistance from U. S. EPA Region 5 at the Opossum Creek Drum Site in Moraine, OH. The Site contains partially buried drums on the bank of the Opossum Creek. Initial sampling by Ohio EPA indicates drums contain elevated levels of heavy metals including arsenic, lead, and chromium.

A U.S. EPA site investigation was conducted on December 12, 2012 documenting heavy metals (lead, arsenic) in partially buried drums. A time-critical removal action was initiated on April 29, 2013. See POLREP 1 for details.

 

Other Links:

Opossum Creek Drum Site Info