- Published: 23 March 2016 23 March 2016
The City of Moraine is seeking Volunteers to provide a valuable service to the City by assisting in many of the City departments in a variety of ways. Volunteers can participate on a regular basis, for a few hours a week or on-call as needed. Although most volunteer assignments are during the day, there are some evening or weekend opportunities available.
Do you have a specific skill or interest area and the time to volunteer a few hours per week, per month or at an upcoming City special event or program? Here is a chance to have fun, put your knowledge and skills to work and make a difference in your community?
READY TO VOLUNTEER?
If you are interested in volunteering in some capacity then please fill out the Volunteer Application.
Check out our monthly update
VOLUNTEER ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
• Volunteers need to be at least 15 years of age.
• Younger youth groups may be allowed to assist with select special events or projects providing the group is accompanied and supervised by adults.
• Volunteers 18 years of age and older will be subject to a background check if placed in ongoing volunteer work positions and if applicable, a drug screening.
• Volunteers working one-time special events or projects will not be given background checks.
• Contact the Volunteer Office at 535-1003 for additional information on these opportunities.
CURRENT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
For the below volunteer opportunities, interested individuals will be interviewed through the Volunteer Office.
• Administration – review old files and enter data on a computer, inventory old files and scanning historical Moraine publications
• Reception Desk – answer telephones, direct patrons and transfer calls
• Volunteer Office - interview Moraine seniors on Moraine history
• Clerk of Council – sort and file old records
Parks & Recreation
• Building Coverage – help monitor basketball gym, check on patrons in facility, help with laundry, organize closets, vacuum floors and rugs, sweep floors, wash windows, take out trash, cleaning indoors & outdoors
Volunteers are needed to assist Moraine Parks & Recreation Department staff at the following events. You can contact the Parks and Recreation staff member directly to volunteer.
• Youth Cooking Class – assist Chef Summer with this fun cooking class as kids make both sweet and savory dishes. Event is held at the Gerhardt Civic Center, 3050 Kreitzer Road beginning Wednesday, September 14
through November 16. Volunteer for one or several weeks. Volunteers are needed for the 4:45 p.m. to 6:30 pm. class and for the 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. class. Contact 535-1098 to volunteer.
• Reach Teen Mentoring Program – assist with homework, projects, activities. Meets at Payne Recreation Center, 3800 Main Street on Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Volunteer any day of your choice. Contact 535-1062 to volunteer.
GCC (Gerhardt Civic Center) & Ora Everett’s Park located at 3050 Kreitzer Road, 535-1095
PRC (Payne Recreation Center) & Wax Park located at 3800 Main Street, 535-1060
Deer Meadow Park, 4321 Pinnacle Road
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT VOLUNTEERING
Is there an age requirement?
Volunteers need to be at least 15 years of age. Younger youth groups may be allowed to assist with select special events or projects providing the group is accompanied and supervised by adults.
Do I need to be a Moraine resident to volunteer?
No. If you have the time, talent and interest, we want to hear from you.
What do I need to do to volunteer?
If you are looking to volunteer on a regular basis then fill out the volunteer application on the web site and return it to the Volunteer Office. An interview will be scheduled to see if we can match you with a need. Volunteers 18 years of age and older will be subject to a background check if placed in ongoing volunteer work positions. If you are volunteering for one-time special events, no interview or background check is necessary. You would contact the special events coordinator directly to sign up for the event.
How will I be trained for a volunteer position?
Staff from the department in which you are volunteering will be responsible for training you for your work assignment or event. Volunteers are expected to dress neatly in proper clothes for the event or work task that they are performing.
How will I find out what volunteer opportunities are available?
Check the City web site as volunteer opportunities will be constantly updated and seasonal special events and projects will be added.
Can I specify the department in which I would like to volunteer?
Yes, you can indicate this on your application form. You can also work in multiple departments.
What if I only want to volunteer periodically or you don’t have a volunteer opportunity to match my skill?
Indicate on your application form when you are available, what areas you are interested in and what your specific skill set is. Some volunteer assignments are short-term, some on a regular basis and some are one-time special events. Our goal is to develop a pool of qualified, on-call volunteers, so if we can’t match your skill or interest area that you are looking for immediately, we will notify you later on if a volunteer position becomes available.